1) This list only tracks sales through AMAZON. It does not keep track of sales through Barnes and Noble, face-to-face or anything else!
2) This list only tracks PRINT sales. We do not currently track e-books. Exactly how Amazon calculates these things is mostly a trade secret and they vary wildly from day to day. If I checked this tomorrow, the list could be very different. This list reflects sales ranks as of Tuesday morning November 5, 2013. Please read that part about sales RANKS. I am not tracking actual sales, as I don’t know those figures. A sales rank of 40,000 means that there are 39,999 books selling better at that moment on Amazon. You want to have a low sales rank, which means you’re closer to # 1.
3) In order to keep the focus on new releases, eligible works must have been published within four months of the current date. So, since this list is being done in November 2013, I’m only looking at books published since August 2013. Please keep that in mind before complaining that Title X is not listed. Also, keep in mind that for the most part, I’m tracking sales from smaller press publishers who actively publishing New Pulp material. I don’t generally track sales from Simon and Schuster or places like that — they have the New York Times Bestseller List for that. If one of the major publishers starts doing The Shadow or something, I’ll track that… but I’m not tracking Hard Case Crime or similar publishers any longer. The playing field is simply not level enough.
4) I am no longer tracking pre-release orders. Some publishers never actually release their books and when they do, it’s months after they were supposed to be released. Everything listed in the Top Ten is currently for sale.
5) Like the name suggests, we’re tracking “New” pulp — I’m not tracking sales rankings for reprints of classic material. In order for something to qualify for this list, it has to be at least 50% new material that has not been printed in book form before.
6) I am human. I make mistakes. If you are aware of a title that should be listed below (keeping in mind all the rules above), please let me know and I will make sure to remedy the situation.
7) I get most of my information from All Pulp, New Pulp, the Pulp Factory mailing list and a few other sites. If you think I might miss your release, let me know in advance — drop me a line and tell me when it’s being released.
Without further ado, here’s the completely and totally unofficial New Pulp bestseller list as of right now (title, then publisher, then release date, then sales rank):
1) The Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs by Various (Baen, October 2013) – 139,344
2) Six Guns and Spaceships by Various (Pro Se Productions, September 2013) – 176,257
3) Doc Savage: The Miracle Menace by Will Murray (Altus Press, September 2013) – 249,052
4) The Bone Queen by Andrea Judy (Pro Se Productions, October 2013) – 393,128
5) The Crimson Mask Volume One by Various (Airship 27, October 2013) – 498,030
6) Liberty Girl by Barry Reese (Pro Se Productions, October 2013) – 503,268
7) Skorpio by Mike Baron (Wordfire Press, October 2013) – 727,034
8 ) The Queen of Escapes by Curt Fernlund (Airship 27, October 2013) – 812,083
9) Sisters of the Shadows: The Cagliostro Curse by Rick Lai (Hollywood Comics, October 2013) – 856,776
10) Shadow Legion: New Roads to Hell by Thomas Deja (Airship 27, September 2013) – 1,011,879
Just missing the list were: The Spider: Extreme Prejudice by Various (Moonstone Books, September 2013) – 1,091,156, New Adventures of the Green Ghost by Various (Pro Se Productions, October 2013) – 1,252,330, Black Fedora by Various (Pro Se Productions, September 2013) – 1,605,962, Ravenwood, Stepson of Mystery Volume Two (Airship 27, August 2013) – 1,959,386, The Bagman vs. The World’s Fair by B.C. Bell (Airship 27, August 2013) – 2,479,664, The New Adventures of Jim Anthony, Super-Detective: The Death’s Head Cloud by Josh Reynolds (Pro Se Productions, September 2013) – 2,520,901, A Week in Hell by J. Walt Layne (Pro Se Productions, August 2013) – 3,171,214 and Fight Card: Barefoot Bones by Bobby Nash (Fight Card Productions, October 2013) – 3,206,223. Zeppelin Tales Volume One by Various (Airship 27, November 2013) is now up on Amazon but since it was only released yesterday it has no sales rank as of yet.
Since we’ve moved into a new month, several books are now no longer being tracked because we’re now only counting books released since August 2013. Once again, we nearly have the entire top 10 with sales ranks below a million — very strong! But with our top book coming in with a rank of over a hundred thousand, the top spot was there for the taking! Heck, even Doc Savage is down at # 3 this week, which is unusual. I’d think Pro Se has to be happy with the sales of the Six Guns book, which is nestled in at # 2 this week. The Bone Queen by Andrea Judy also debuts strongly, peaking at # 4. Airship 27 continues to get strong sales out of The Crimson Mask, The Queen of Escapes and Shadow Legion. Mike Baron’s newest work cracks the top 10 after just missing it the past two weeks. It does this at the expense of The Spider: Extreme Prejudice, which ends up on the outside.
From a publisher standpoint, we have six publishers represented. Pro Se and Airship 27 have three titles each, while Altus, Baen, Wordfire and Hollywood Comics have one each.
Take it all with a grain of salt, folks.
Creator of Action & Adventure fiction
Creating New Worlds
An Outrageous, Egregious, Preposterous, take on the legal issues of Seinfeld
The Official Website of John F. Allen writer.
Toys | Games | Movies | Comics and everything else in between
The Future of Pop Culture Writing
What's your distraction?
Old Movies. Fresh Takes.
We love comics.
Singing the praises of things that slip through the cultural cracks
Comic book and movie reviews!
Marvel and DC comics and community
Horror, Science Fiction, Comic Books and More
Fantasy and film reference writer.
Library of the Odd, the Obscure, and the Occult
Scribbler & Scholar
Art and Books
Pro Advice For Freelance Writers
Adam West’s Updates
"I'm a whole lot better and a whole lot worse than you think I am."-The Choir
Once a foster child, Always a foster child
Fantasy and Science Fiction Book Reviews and Discussions
T.V/Movie News & Reviews
This WordPress.com site is the bee's knees
The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.
"Find what you love and let it kill you." – Charles Bukowski
The Fantastic and Mundane Chronicles of an Aspiring Writer
1939 Dodge D11 Deluxe Luxury Liner
Defending the planet from bad science fiction
Movie critiques by a popcorn enthusiast
Writing is human communication tool and it brings out the real personality in you as a person.
Fresh takes on retro pop culture
I am the mistress of this blog and this is where I channel my inner domestic goddess
The collective writings and thoughts of that guy in the site title.
News, reviews, and commentary about superhero prose fiction
Geeky News, Reviews and Rants from a Working Class Super-Villain
A daily selection of the best content published on WordPress, collected for you by humans who love to read.
Worlds and ideas from my mind
Speculative Fiction Book Reviews and Sundry
A blog about the writer of THE NIGHT LAND and HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND