1) This list only tracks sales through AMAZON. It does not keep track of sales through Barnes and Noble, face-to-face or anything else!
2) This list only tracks PRINT sales. We do not currently track e-books. Exactly how Amazon calculates these things is mostly a trade secret and they vary wildly from day to day. If I checked this tomorrow, the list could be very different. This list reflects sales ranks as of Monday morning January 14, 2013.
3) In order to keep the focus on new releases, eligible works must have been published within four months of the current date. So, since this list is being done in January 2013, I’m only looking at books published since October 2012. Please keep that in mind before complaining that Title X is not listed. Also, keep in mind that for the most part, I’m tracking sales from smaller press publishers who actively publishing New Pulp material. I don’t generally track sales from Simon and Schuster or places like that — they have the New York Times Bestseller List for that. If one of the major publishers starts doing The Shadow or something, I’ll track that… but I’m not tracking Hard Case Crime or similar publishers any longer. The playing field is simply not level enough.
4) I am no longer tracking pre-release orders. Some publishers never actually release their books and when they do, it’s months after they were supposed to be released. Everything listed in the Top Ten is currently for sale.
5) Like the name suggests, we’re tracking “New” pulp — I’m not tracking sales rankings for reprints of classic material. In order for something to qualify for this list, it has to be at least 50% new material that has not been printed in book form before.
6) I am human. I make mistakes. If you are aware of a title that should be listed below (keeping in mind all the rules above), please let me know and I will make sure to remedy the situation.
7) I get most of my information from All Pulp, New Pulp, the Pulp Factory mailing list and a few other sites. If you think I might miss your release, let me know in advance — drop me a line and tell me when it’s being released.
Without further ado, here’s the completely and totally unofficial New Pulp bestseller list as of right now (title, then publisher, then release date, then sales rank):
1) Prohibition by Terrence McCauley (Airship 27, December 2012) – 208,276
2) Three Against the Stars by Joe Bonadonna (Airship 27, November 2012) – 648,308
3) Pro Se Presents # 16 by Various (Pro Se Press, December 2012) – 661,201
4) Monster Aces by Various (Pro Se Press, October 2012) – 853,752
5) The Spider: Shadow of Evil by C.J. Henderson and J. Anthony Kosar (Moonstone Books, October 2012) – 1,066,421
6) The Golden Age by Jeff Deischer (White Rocket Books, October 2012) – 1,122,523
7) Prophecy’s Gambit by Nancy Hansen (Pro Se Press, January 2012) – 1,323,924
8 ) Sentinels: Metalgod by Van Plexico (White Rocket Books, December 2012) – 1,328,143
9) Pro Se Presents # 15 by Various (Pro Se Press, November 2012) – 1,376,117
10) Horror Heroes by Various (Pulp Empire, October 2012) – 2,042,641
Just missing the list were: Helmet Head by Mike Baron (November 2012) – 2,185,393, Sha’Daa: Pawns (Volume 3) by Various (Perseid Publishing, October 2012) – 2,379,979, Pro Se Presents # 14 by Various (Pro Se Press, October 2012) – 2,508,604 and Secret Agent “X” – Volume Four by Various (Airship 27, October 2012) – 2,617,248.
An amazingly “soft” week in terms of sales. Once again, the # 1 spot was right there for the taking and every New Pulp publisher should be kicking themselves for not having taken advantage of 1) The absence of Doc Savage & 2) the sales slump that the field is currently going through.
Well, let me rephrase that – every New Pulp publisher besides Airship 27 should be kicking themselves. The mighty Airship captures the top two spots in our list this week, with Prohibition taking the top spot after two weeks at # 2.
Last week’s top book drops to # 6. The new issue of Pro Se Presents debuts at # 3.
From a publisher standpoint, we have five publishers represented. Pro Se leads the way with four titles, followed by White Rocket and Airship 27 with two each. Moonstone and Pulp Empire have one each.
Take it all with a grain of salt, folks.
Creating New Worlds
An Outrageous, Egregious, Preposterous, take on the legal issues of Seinfeld
The Official Website of John F. Allen writer.
Toys | Games | Movies | Comics and everything else in between
The Future of Pop Culture Writing
What's your distraction?
Old Movies. Fresh Takes.
We love comics.
Singing the praises of things that slip through the cultural cracks
Comic book and movie reviews!
Marvel and DC comics and community
Horror, Science Fiction, Comic Books and More
Fantasy and film reference writer.
Library of the Odd, the Obscure, and the Occult
Scribbler & Scholar
Art and Books
Pro Advice For Freelance Writers
Adam West’s Updates
"I'm a whole lot better and a whole lot worse than you think I am."-The Choir
Once a foster child, Always a foster child
Fantasy and Science Fiction Book Reviews and Discussions
T.V/Movie News & Reviews
This WordPress.com site is the bee's knees
The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community.
"Find what you love and let it kill you." – Charles Bukowski
The Fantastic and Mundane Chronicles of an Aspiring Writer
1939 Dodge D11 Deluxe Luxury Liner
Defending the planet from bad science fiction
Movie critiques by a popcorn enthusiast
Writing is human communication tool and it brings out the real personality in you as a person.
Fresh takes on retro pop culture
I am the mistress of this blog and this is where I channel my inner domestic goddess
The collective writings and thoughts of that guy in the site title.
News, reviews, and commentary about superhero prose fiction
Geeky News, Reviews and Rants from a Working Class Super-Villain
A daily selection of the best content published on WordPress, collected for you by humans who love to read.
Worlds and ideas from my mind
Speculative Fiction Book Reviews and Sundry
A blog about the writer of THE NIGHT LAND and HOUSE ON THE BORDERLAND
Magazine of Thrilling Adventure and Daring Suspense