Comics and pulp have a long association and in the world of comics these days, nothing is bigger than DC’s recent revamping of their universe. In the past month, I’ve read virtually everything they’ve published and I’m now ready to reveal what books I thought were the best. I’ll be sticking with a few titles that aren’t on this list in the hopes that they improve but the ones below were the ones that left me genuinely excited about reading more:
- Justice League – I know a lot of folks didn’t like how the first issue focused on only two heroes (with a third popping up on the final few pages) but I thought it was well put together and a lot of fun.
- Wonder Woman – I normally hate this writer but the first issue of this series was genuinely creepy and featured some awesome artwork.
- Action Comics — I wasn’t blown away by this but I did enjoy it a lot. I like the notion of a de-powered Superman.
- Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE – The BPRD in the DC Universe. I was very, very surprised by how much I enjoyed this.
- Green Lantern – Stunning artwork, great characterization. GL remains high quality in the DCnU.
- Fury of Firestorm – I loved the original Ronnie Raymond version but I wasn’t sure what to expect here. I was sad to see the race angle played up but I loved the storyline and the way old characters (Cliff Carmichael!) were reborn in the new universe.
- Demon Knights – This rocked, just like I knew it would. Great art. Good story.
- Supergirl — Stunning art and while the story wasn’t anything earth-shaking, it was solid. I love the Supergirl redesign.
- Batman — The perfect version of Batman. This is what the character should be. Snyder and Capullo — I hope they’re around for a long time on the title.
- Justice League Dark – I didn’t expect to like this one very much but I enjoyed the parts with Shade and the art was nice. Honestly, I could have done without the traditional JLA being in this book at all, though. Their presence almost dropped the title off this list.
- Aquaman – Amazing artwork and I think Johns is really grooving with this character.
If you’re a comics fan, those are the titles I’d recommend you give a try. There were others (JLI, Legion, Animal Man, Superman, etc.) that had some real good moments but they also had elements that kept them from making the list of my “must-buys.”